Tuesday, 16 March 2010

Andy's Ruck-Sack

1981 - During the early 1980s I was going on a day-trip to Dublin. I called at my friend Andy’s house to ask him if I could borrow his ruck-sack to take with me. The conversation went as follows;

Me: "Can I borrow your ruck-sack?"
Andy: "No problem. I'll go and get it for you"
Andy went away and in a few minutes returned. He handed me the ruck-sack.
Andy: "Where are you going?"
Me: "Dublin"
Andy snatched his ruck-sack back from me.
Andy: "Not with my ruck-sack you're not!"
Me: "Very funny."
I snatched the ruck-sack back from him.
Andy: "You're not takin' my ruck-sack to Dublin!"
Andy snatched his ruck-sack back from me.
Me: "Yeah, very funny"
I snatched the ruck-sack back from him.
Andy: "I'm serious! You're not takin' my ruck-sack to that Fenian hell hole!"
Andy snatched his ruck-sack back from me.

It was then I realised he wasn't joking.

Me: "You're actually being serious aren't you?"
Andy: "Yes!"

I exploded into fits of laughter at him.

Me: "What's the ruck-sack going to come back from Dublin with? Fenian disease?
Andy: "Look, I don't want my ruck-sack anywhere near Dublin!"

I looked at Andy fuming about the thought of me taking some part of his belongings to the capital city of the Republic of Ireland.

"You're nuts my friend" I told him. I walked away to leave Andy alone with his madness.

THAT is how bad some people had been inflicted with the disease of the troubles.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment